Thursday, April 24, 2008

it seems that nowadays that all i ever do when im not in the library studying or writing a paper i am in my room reading and writing. other than to go to class/library or go to eat i dont really leave my room (oh, or to get coffee). but the wierd thing is the lack of content or amount of writing i have done. i stay up late every night and find that i 
have done nothing productive. usually ill search around for hours online and gain nothing from it. i check my gmail and statcounter like every five minutes, expecting my inbox to say atleast 'Inbox (1)' or for there to be atleast one more visitor to my blog. niether of these situations occur very often.

in regards to what i write on; i journal everyday so i atleast get some writing in everyday. then everything else i write on normal 8.5" x 11" computer paper. i have a big stack of paper with poems, beginnings of stories, names of authors, books, movies, or music artists, ideas for poems or something to write about, potential poem titles. i need to get a notebook to write all this in. i think it would be more 'convenient' and easier to keep together. i try not to waste paper so i fit in as much as i can on a single sheet of paper so they are all over the place and sometimes i can't find things that i have written. i think i will get a molskine notebook for this purpose. i will probaly get a couple of the small bendable, pocket-sized ones to carry around with me so that i can write down ideas at all times. i think this is a good idea. another thing about my writing is that i have barely anything typed on my computer. that is why i have not posted very many things i have written. i'm not sure if it's because i am lazy or not, but i think it has a lot to do with the fact that i feel anxious about reading things i have written. when i write i usually have an idea that sparks in my head and goes only so far as a couple lines, then i kind of just let my mind take it where it wants to go from there. a lot of times it turns out bad. so i get nervous about reading it after i have written it and to type it up i feel that it
makes it 'concrete' or 'official.' there is no turning back after that point. i am doomed for eternity for writing something so bad. i realize that i am a bit paranoid and self-rightous, i think, for saying this, but it is just that way. 

i only have one more week of school until the summer. i am exciteed. maybe i'll get an extra hour or two of sleep.

this is something i wrote a couple of weeks ago. the title is from a list of potential poem titles in brandon scott gorrell's poetry book, during my nervous breakdown i want to have a biographer present
i really liked this book alot.



i want to take a bath in 13 gallons of warm coffee


i take a filter and hold it underneath the faucet.
it’s brown.
the bathtub is filling with a steaming hot liquid.
it excites me to look at it.
i stare at the quickly filling tub.
it will soon overflow

there are 13 gallons of coffee
lying stagnant, waiting for me to enter its warm, wet environment.
i strip down to nothing but my flesh
i slowly step into the inviting brown murkiness
it is delicious to the touch
it warms every inch of my body as i enter it completely.
i feel the caffeine seeping in to my pours
it still allows me to relax for a short moment.
it does not simulate my nerves too soon.

i lie there for an hour,
soaking in the runoff of the grinded, roasted seeds.
it is only barely, still warm.
i can now feel the caffeine flowing through my veins.
i can no longer lie still.

i stand to find that i look like a brown, leathery ogre.
all i need is my axe and a few bulbous warts.




this is something else i wrote that i sort of liked:


paper of inquisition


academia
strain on the mind
things learned
things lost
i touch the white keys with little grey letters on them
electricity is conducted through my skin
i loose my train of thought
i am exhausted
my fingers are frozen
they are numb
i no can no longer feel them



comments and criticisms are welcome.

1 comment:

display name said...

both poems: sweet. i like your writing.